I think I could eat Curry 4 times a week and not tire of it. There are so many variations that one could easily not repeat a combination of ingredients in months! I add a palm-sized piece whole wheat garlic Naan on the side, (instead of rice) and it's close to heaven... This recipe is full of Cancer-fighting ingredients, and is oh-so good!
- 1 tsp. each salt, Black pepper, Cumin, Coriander, and ground Cardamom
- ½ tsp. each Cinnamon, ground Cloves, and Turmeric
- 3 - 4 boneless, skinless organic Chicken Thighs (@ 1 lb.)
- 4 boneless, skinless organic Chicken Breasts (@ 2 lbs.)
- 1 large organic Sweet Onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 medium Carrots, sliced thin
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (8oz) Water Chestnuts, drained
- 2 c. low-salt fat-free organic Chicken Broth
- ½ c. Coconut Milk
- 1-½ Tbs. Curry powder
- 1 Tbs. fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. sea Salt
- ½ tsp. crushed Red-pepper flakes
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh Ginger
- 1 organic Garlic clove, minced
- 2 c. organic Broccoli Florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ c. plain soy Yogurt
- 1/3 c. fresh organic Cilantro, chopped
To make spice rub: In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and turmeric. Set aside.
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place in a large bowl. Sprinkle spices over the chicken pieces and use your hands to thoroughly mix rub in. Cover bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Remove chicken from fridge.
Cover bottom of slow cooker with the onion. Sprinkle carrots over onions and top with sweet potatoes and water chestnuts.
In a bowl, whisk together the broth, coconut milk, curry powder, lemon, salt, red-pepper flakes, ginger and garlic. Pour half of the broth mixture over veggies in slow cooker. Place chicken on top of veggies, and pour the rest of the broth over the top.
Cook on High for 3 hours, or low for 4 – 5 hours, until chicken is cooked through. Place broccoli on the top for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
At end of cooking time, remove the chicken and place in large bowl. Skim fat from the surface of the broth. Gently stir in the yogurt.
Pour curry sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with cilantro, and enjoy!
Makes 6 servings
~ To Your Health! ♥