Well, I am ready to tackle another Big Boss Oil-less Fryer recipe. Their book includes an Italian Stuffed Pepper recipe, but I read the ingredients, and while it sounds like a pretty good combo, I am inclined to use my Mom's filling for this experiment.
I will include their filling below for those wishing to try it. I also included methods to cook my version in a Big Boss or on the stovetop.
Hoda's Stuffed Peppers:
- 5 large organic Bell Peppers, variety of colors
- 1 c. cooked Wild and Brown Rice, raw if you're cooking on stovetop (cook rice in broth or green tea)
- 3/4 lb. grnd. organic grass-fed Beef, Lamb or free-range ground Chicken
- 5 Tbs. organic Tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. Allspice
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 3 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 c. organic Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1/4 c. fresh organic Parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbs. fresh organic Mint, chopped (or 2 tsp. dry)
- 2 organic Tomatoes, sliced (for bottom of pot)
- 1 c. organic Tomato sauce
- 1 + c. Hot Water
- 2 tsp. Salt, 1 tsp. Allspice, 1 tsp. Cinnamon
1. For Stove Top Cooking:
Do not cook rice. Mix all ingredients together with 5 Tbs. of tomato sauce, reserving the 1 cup for pot.
Place tomato rounds in bottom of pot to prevent peppers from sticking.
Stuff peppers to within 1/2" from top, and place snug side by side in a large pot, so they support each other.
Mix 1 c. tomato sauce, spices and hot water. Pour around peppers and add enough hot water to reach within 1 inch of pepper tops. Scoop 2 Tbs. broth into each pepper to help rice cook.
Bring to a boil over medium high, then turn to low and simmer for 35 - 45 minutes or until rice is cooked.
2. To Cook in Big Boss:
Mix ground meat with spices until well combined.
In a stainless steel saucepan saute meat over medium heat (no oil in pan) until brown. Drain.
Mix in rice, olive oil, onions, herbs and 1 c. tomato sauce.
Stuff peppers to within 1/2 inch from top.
Spray lower rack of Big Boss oven with cooking oil. Arrange peppers on rack. Top each with 1 Tbs. of tomato sauce.
Cook at 350º F for 35 minutes.
Big Boss Recipe:
- 5 organic Bell Peppers, variety of colors
- 1 c. cooked Brown Rice
- 3/4 lb. grnd organic grass-fed Beef or Turkey
- 1 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves organic Garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs. dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tbs. dried Basil
- 1 Tbs. fresh organic Parsley, chopped
- 1 c. plus 5 Tbs. organic Tomato Sauce
Saute ground beef in med saucepan over medium heat until brown.
Cut tops off peppers, dice the tops and set aside. Remove seeds and membranes from pepper cavities.
When beef is browned drain grease and place meat in a bowl.
In same pan add olive oil. Wait 1 minute and add onions, garlic and chopped pepper tops. Saute for 2 minutes. Add oregano, basil and stir 1 minute longer. Return meat to pan and add 1 c. tomato sauce. Stir well.
In a large bowl, combine meat mixture and 1 c. cooked rice. Stir well. Stuff peppers with filling.
Spray lower rack of Big Boss oven with cooking oil. Arrange peppers on rack. Top each with 1 Tb.s of tomato sauce.
Cook at 350º F for 35 minutes.