Very yummy, filling and worth adding to your Recipe files! This can be made with Organic Free-Range Chicken Broth if desired.
Cannellini Bean Soup with Kale
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 c. organic Onion, diced
- 1 c. Celery, diced
- 1 c. organic Carrot, diced (1 cup)
- 1 tsp. fresh Rosemary, finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 tsp. fresh organic Basil (1/2 tsp. dry)
- 1 Tbs. of chopped Garlic (about 3 cloves)
- One 14.5 oz can organic diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 4 c. organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4 packed cups organic Kale, cleaned and sliced
- Two 15 oz cans Cannellini beans
- 1 Tbs. fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbs. of grated Rice or Almond Cheese
Pour olive oil in stock pot over medium heat and wait 1 minute. Add the onion, celery, carrots, rosemary and basil, and sauté over low to medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook another minute.
Add tomatoes, cumin, vegetable broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Wash the kale well. Remove and discard the lower half of stalk, then slice. Add kale and beans to the pot, bring back to a low boil and simmer, covered, until kale is tender (about 5 to 10 minutes).
Turn off the heat, remove bay leaf, add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Top each bowl of soup with 1/2 tablespoon rice or almond cheese if desired. Serve with a nice whole wheat loaf of crusty, whole grain bread. (I like Trader Joe's Tuscan Whole Wheat Tuscan Pane - 4g fiber to 23 carb). Click here for 'good carb' formula.
~ à votre santé! ♥