Sweet potatoes are full of wonderful vitamins, are alkaline and help reduce blood sugar.
You can enjoy them several times a week cooked in various ways. They're versatile enough to be in a stew, curry, veggie patty, side dish or served on their own or in a dessert. I modified this recipe I found online.
Baked Southwestern Sweet Potato Cakes
- 2 organic Sweet Potatoes, halved
- 2 c. cooked organic Black Beans, drained
- 2 cloves organic Garlic, minced
- 3 organic Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. organic Red Onion, diced
- 2 Tbs. organic Parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbs. organic Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- ½ tsp. Chili powder
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. fresh organic Thyme, minced or ¼ tsp. dry
- 2 tsp. fresh Lime Juice
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- Avocado or Olive oil for baking sheet.
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
Steam sweet potatoes in their skin, covered, until soft. Do not boil, as they lose flavor and will be too mushy.
Remove potatoes from pot, peel and mash in a medium bowl.
Place 1/2 the beans in food processor and blend.
Add all the beans to the potatoes. Add the garlic, onions, parsley, cilantro, and spices. Stir together to combine.
Stir in the lime juice, zest.
Form mixture into 8 patties, just under 1/2" thick.
Place patties on oiled baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with olive oil.
Bake for 12 minutes, flip carefully and bake for another 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Serve topped with a fresh salsa (tomatoes, onions, cilantro, cucumber, lime or lemon juice and 2 Tbs. plain almond or coconut yogurt), or enjoy in a high-fiber gluten-free bun with condiments.
~ Cheers! ♥