They're easy to transport, easy to make, inspire creativity, and are fun to eat... I'm talking about Wraps. Many Seaside Cafés along the Lebanese stretch of the Mediterranean offer a variety of Pita bread wraps. Our loaves there are the size of large tortilla shells, so they lend themselves to substantial lunch fare.
Two of the most popular are Falafel, of course, and roasted chicken with pickles and a thick Garlic Aioli we call 'Thoum" which literally means garlic.
Below is a wrap that integrates a North African ingredient with a tasty chicken-hummus (or you may substitute BBQ'd tofu) filling.
Mediterranean Chicken Wrap Recipe
Yield - 8 wraps
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat Couscous
- 1/2 c. chopped Almonds, toasted
- 1/2 c. golden Raisins
- 3 c. cooked, shredded or thinly sliced Roasted or BBQ Chicken
- 2 c. shredded organic Romaine Lettuce
- 2 Tbs. diced organic Red Onion (opt.)
- 2 Tbs. raw organic Honey
- 1/4 . extra virgin organic Olive Oil
- 1/4 c. organic Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 2 Tbs. chopped organic Parsley
- 1 tsp. grated Lemon peel
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 whole wheat Pita Bread pockets, split into 8 rounds (or 8 whole wheat organic Tortillas)
- 1 c. Hummus
Cook couscous according to package directions.
In a medium bowl, gently combine couscous, almonds, raisins, chicken or tofu, lettuce and onion.
In a small bowl, whisk together honey, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, cumin and lemon peel. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix 1/4 cup dressing into couscous mixture.
To assemble wraps, lay bread split side up on work surface. Spread each with 2 tablespoons hummus. Spoon approximately 1/2 cup couscous mixture down center of each pita round.
Drizzle with 1 tablespoon dressing. Fold up bottom and then sides to wrap.
~ Sahtein! ♥