Chanterelle Mushroom – Chicken Pie
Adapted from Tom's recipe at www.tallcloverfarm.com
For the vegetarian version, omit the chicken and add three pounds of mushrooms. This is a great vegetarian pie as chanterelles are meaty little guys with rich texture.
You will need:
- Two Pie Crusts: Your favorite Whole Wheat, Spelt (Whole Foods has a wonderful frozen Spelt crust), or Gluten Free crust of your choice
- 1.5 lb Chanterelle mushrooms
- 3 T. Virgin Olive oil
- 1.5 lb organic, free-range Chicken
- 1 T. whole wheat Flour
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1 c. Soy Yogurt (Sour Cream if you can eat dairy)
- Sauté mushrooms in oil, until tender and most liquid evaporates
- Add onion, sauté until translucent
- Add diced chicken to pan, cook until tender
- Add flour, stir, cook for a few more minutes for thickening
- Add lemon juice and yogurt and stir. Let cool to room temperature
Preheat oven to 425 F. Place baking sheet in oven.
Line crust in 9-inch pie plate (10-inch works, too).
Add cooled filling to crust. Place second crust on top and crimp edges. Vent top crust by making 5 – 6 cuts with a knife.
Brush top crust with egg wash (one egg, 1 t. water, mixed).
Place pie on baking sheet in oven, on the middle rack. Bake for 15 minutes, or until top crust begins to brown.
Lower temperature to 350º F, continue baking for another 30 – 35 minutes, until golden and center is firm.
Serve warm (reheats well).
photo credit: http://www.tallcloverfarm.com
Serve with a green salad and roasted balsamic asparagus!
~ Bon Apetit! ♥